Never hire a SEO company emailing you saying that they visited your website, it is not ranking well in Google and promise you to be #1. They are NOT real visitors of your website and may try to scam you.
Anyone can do SEO himself if you have skills and free time, if you are a busy man and need help from professionals, do a search and find a reputable company which itself appear on first page of Google.
Are you working in an Indian SEO company? I would like to hear an “inside opinion”. Leave a comment on page!
DON’T contact me at email firstname.lastname@example.org (I really collect lots of indian emails on this email address, being posted there in plain format).
I have found a solution to STOP (most of) India Webdesign & SEO spam!
This page is NOT intended to offend any specific company or India country as whole.
Since 2013 I get lots of emails about Web Development and SEO outsourcing, 90% of them originating from India.
Webdesign SPAM emails ask me if I interested in redesigning my website, the email body being entirely a generic text. But how do they know that I have a website?
SEO SPAM emails are most intriguing, some of them contain my name or URL in the email subject and also within email body (example of subject: “Proposal for teoalida.com“), but the rest of email body is a generic message telling me that my website do not appear on first page in Google, that I am missing headings, META, ALT and TITLE tags, etc, when in reality my website do not have these problems.
They guarantee that will push my website to top of Google search results, 101% recovery from Panda and Penguin penalties, etc (for your info: No one can guarantee #1 in Google. What if multiple websites in same niche apply for their services, who will be #1?). I asked them how they do that, but most of them do not provide details, they just insist to get paid and let my website on their hands.
The rule is simple: if they CAN, I can too, if I CAN’T, nobody else can. I don’t want to let my PERSONAL website in the hands of other persons.
The internet is full with tutorials how to optimize your website yourself. Example: Beginners guide to SEO on Moz.com.
How they know how to contact me?
BEWARE: Unlike most beginners think, most of these spammers are NOT actual visitors of my website.
My website gets some traffic from India, mostly architects, contractors, house builders interested in architecture-related things, it’s unlikely that they are owners or partners with Web Development & SEO companies. I am monitoring traffic with Clicky for each individual visitor, and only after I replied to these SPAM emails, they visited my website for the first time (from an IP or even city from where nobody visited me before).
The emails are sent automatically. They have an automated script to blast mass email with website title, URL and email added within email body.
Sometimes I get a second email, apparently reply to a previous email (but their “previous email” sometimes never reached me), saying that they never heard from me and ask me again if am interested in their services, which often fool people thinking that is a personal email. Again, second email is automated too.
Final conclusion: some spammers crawl the web from time to time, to collect email addresses, and sell to other spammers the database of websites and emails found in them, so an email address once posted on web is likely to be spammed whole life even if was removed from the web. I also get SPAM emails selling a “list of businesses contact info”, probably SEO companies are buying such things.
Additional note: most spammers target business website owners looking for ways to increase ranking in Google or website redesign. How their email-crawl robot differentiate business websites from personal blogs or other non-profit websites that dominate the web, we don’t know!
But some times I get emails like this: “Are you looking for a company to outsource your Web Design, WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, Magento or Mobile App development work? I at (company name) have helped businesses like yourself“.
Some spammers are actually looking for partnership with other web designers, who may want to grow their business by outsourcing to India. Some pages of my site are titled for example “Architecture & CAD Design services – Teoalida’s Website“, as you can see it contains the words Website + Design, this may have fooled the robot harvesting email addresses of web designers, although I am clearly NOT offering web design services.
Some spammers are also browsing internet manually for web design companies in United States and Europe and send manual emails as well as phone calls, hoping to convince them to outsource to India.
I would like to hear an “inside opinion” from someone who worked for a SEO company and tell us their secrets.
More info about their SEO email marketing
- To not damage the reputation of their company, most do not tell their company name on first email.
- The first email is often send from a FREE Gmail accounts… they are aware that they are spamming and once they got their email disabled, they open another Gmail account (while replying to them, it bounced back from MAILER DAEMON telling that their account was disabled), or the initial email was not send by an employee but rather a partner helping that company to get clients.
- They claim that is compliant with CAN-SPAM act of 2003, maybe it do not violate the law but are still unsolicited email.
- Do not take in serious their base country. Some companies appear to be based in US, UK, Australia, etc, but when I gave them a link to my website, an Indian IP visited me. The company manager may be an american but employees are Indians to lower the costs, thus their services will be Indian-quality.
- The initial email may look being written by a kid from his bedroom, but after I reply, the second email say that they are a big company with 100-200 SEO professionals, with 5 years experience and who served hundreds of clients over United States, Europe, Asia, etc. I am very doubt about that. A Google search show that their website have PageRank 0 or max 1, aka they are newborn companies who their own websites do not rank in Google (webdesign is also highly competitive niche) so their only way to get clients is by spamming emails and lying about their experience. But I once got SEO spam email from a company with PageRank 4 and headquarters in massive 4-storey building visible in Google Earth.
- Their website display a portfolio with their clients, websites showing a list of 5-10 keywords that they helped appearing #1 in Google. These keywords are usually combinations of 3 words which have low search volume but also low competition thus any amateur can get himself #1 in Google with minimum of effort, by using desired keywords in page titles and repeating them few times in body text (LOL! I can make a list of over 100 two- and three-word keywords for which my own website appear #1 in Google, and I never paid a single cent for that).
- Beware! Most of SEO spammers are NOT experts in how to do a business and FAIL on long term, they exploit flaws in Google algorithms, aka Black Hat SEO techniques, build links unnaturally, abusive link exchange, keyword stuffing, etc. They take your money, raise website ranking on short them, but since Google algorithms are in constant change to to downrank the sites using such techniques, soon you fall in a worse place than you were originally, then they take you more money to restore ranking failure due to an unexpected Google algorithm change, or you broke collaboration and try to find another SEO company to fix what they damaged. Google Webmaster Central Forum is full with people asking for help how to lift Google penalty received after hiring “SEO experts from India”.
- Link building by spam in blogs. Probably you have seen generic comments like “Useful article, amazing blog, etc” having comment author a weird name and linking a website, these are comments left by by Indians which their SEO plan include using automatic robots to create spammy backlinks for their clients from all over the world. Personally I get hundreds such comments per day, Akismet is a FREE plugin for WordPress blogs that blocks 99% of SPAM comments, but 1% escape and if you browse few of my website pages you can see comments left by Indian SEO companies!
If I will ever need professional SEO services, I will do a search on Google and pick myself a legitimate company, I will NOT work with spammers picking me. Outsourcing to India is a worldwide trend, but many unskilled Indians are trying to join the outsourcing business, damaging image of their whole country.
Link exchange SPAM from India
Indian web developers use same technique, robots to crawl email addresses, to get in contact with other web developers to do link exchange and improve rankings of their clients.
I received from multiple people a message like the below example.
First time, I replied normally and they actually put my link on their website, then when I started receiving identical emails from other people, I replied asking them few questions but I always received standard reply that my link was added, and no answers my questions. Probably they configured an email answering machine, but at least… we did the link exchange.
if I didn’t replied first time, I could think that they are just spam and I would never replied to all.
However, I stopped replying at link exchange requests in mid-2013, since I realized that link exchange violate Google Webmaster Guidelines, practicing it excessively will lead to penalty from Google for BOTH of us (website drop in search results). Also, they often put my link on a /links.htm, a page with PR 0 or even not in Google index, thus giving no benefits for me.
Actually i was searching for quality partners for link exchange and I found that you are posting high quality content on (URL of a random page of my website) so I want to know if you are interested in exchanging link with our
If you are interested to exchange the links, please send me the following details of your site:
Title, Url and Description
I’ll add your link in the next 24 hours. As soon as it’s ready, I’ll send you a confirmation email.
We’d appreciate it if you place a link back to our site using the following HTML code (just copy and paste it into your links page):
I’m pleased to inform you that your link was added to our site on the (URL of their site) page
I just want to know if you are interested in our other sites for exchanging links.
The links details are as as follows :
After adding the links you just reply us that where you have added
these links and we will add your links to all the WEBSITES within 48
we will send you the email after adding all the links .
A very FUNNY-STRANGE case was to receive on email@example.com an email written in romanian language soliciting link exchange. Indeed I am originating from Romania, but my website is in english and worldwide targeted. How his/her email crawling bot knew my nationality?
The email had name Daniela Ionescu, common female name in Romania, but email text used male words, a non-understandable language written probably with Google Translator. it also contained a link to THIS LinkedIn profile profile with a photo with a woman clearly not made in Romania, stating that she studied at a romanian academy. But the words are terribly wrong. Even school name was misspelled (we call university, not academy)!
I replied and asked her few questions in romanian, but she did not understand me so I switched to english, she admitted that is not native romanian. She visited my website from Indian IP and along her SEO clients were few romanian websites. Interesting (FAIL) way for Indian spammers to get clients in other countries?
Other types of SPAM from India
Spamming emails is not only used by web designers. I also got SPAM emails from India promoting CAD design services, they are real visitors of my website. For example: a spammer opened just main page (www.teoalida.com) and saw numerous floor plans from Singapore, then clicked Contact page, and sent me email saying that they offer 2D and 3D floorplan conversion service using SketchUp. He did not opened other pages to see that I offering same service, using AutoCAD.
I replied like this:
I will never hire a designer using that SHIT called SketchUp. You sure don’t need an AutoCAD designer to do better quality floor plans and 3D models for your customers? See my works http://www.teoalida.com/design/hdbflats/ and http://www.teoalida.com/design/houseplans/
My location is Dhaka, Bangladesh. where my resources are working for less than $5/hr. Im sure that i will never able to hire you.
After going though your site and feedback from others, i have understood that, i need to start developing AutoCAD 3D team.
Thanks a lot. feeling lucky to have multiple replies from an expert guy like you.
Other spammers use AutoCAD, I asked them to design a house for my customers, but their service is limited to converting floor plans into AutoCAD drawings, as well as 3D design based on our floor plans. They do not make house plans from their imagination like architects.
How to stop email SPAM from India
The general rule: DO NOT post your email in plain format (firstname.lastname@example.org), robots pick it regardless if it is clickable or not, instead you can:
– Don’t post the email at all, use a Contact form (on your website).
– Write the email as “name_at_example_dot_com” (on websites that aren’t yours).
– Write the email in an image uploaded on Photobucket and post the image (on websites that aren’t yours).
– TROLL WITH THEM (as I do myself): make a new email address specially for being spammed, post it on your website in plain format, hidden somewhere where humans do not look but bots can harvest it, then reply at their spam emails, ask details about their company, ask advice and other help, waste their time and promise that you will pay later, but never send them a cent!
If we all troll with them, the fucking Indians will realize that spamming emails will hardly bring real clients we may discourage them to spam in the future!
On the plain, unprotected emails, you may get other types of SPAM:
– Chinese manufacturers trying to sell you various products. Their marketing is very bad targeted, I have a website about real estate and I often get emails trying to sell me construction materials for buildings, furniture, bearings, led display, office paper, etc.
– Domain name scams (informing you that a chinese company is trying to register yourdomain.cn which is similar with yourdomain.com, so they offer you to register yourself yourdomain.cn and dozens of other domains before someone else will register, at a very high fee). NEVER reply to such emails, they are mass mail sent to thousands of website owners on email addresses crawled and website name inserted in email body automatically. By replying them, you may attract attention about your existence and they may actually register a domain similar with yours for $10 then attempt to sell you for $200! (example domain email scam).
Note: if the email was displayed on website for long time, then you protect it, you will still get SPAM emails. Make a new email address if possible.
Note: these rules protect you from automated spam only. If you are in webdesign industry, you are likely to get manual spam. Few webdesign companies I talked with, informed me that they get promotional messages from India via their contact form, Facebook, LinkedIn, as well as phone calls from Indian SEO companies.
How I deal with Indian spammers & FUNNY cases
Note that I am fan of DO IT YOURSELF. as teoalida.com is a PERSONAL website, I don’t accept professional help from others, I accept only suggestions and do all the work myself. My web building knowledge is not at professional level, but I prefer to learn instead of being dependent by professionals.
If you SPAM our emails, expect to get replies from people NOT interested in your services, students or owners of non-profit websites, or who like wasting your time (LIKE ME!).
I occasionally replied to spammers acting like a customer looking for help. Half of them never reply, once I received a second email “We did not heard from you“. So what is the point of spamming potential customers? Conclusion: so many people reply at their emails, probably bullshit replies, and they do not have time to read all, and reply to potential customers.
I also send them often funny and short replies, sometimes swearing them, sometimes slightly serious.
From first email I warn them that “I am NOT interested in outsourcing but if you have any suggestions for my website, feel free to speak!“, despite of warning that I am NOT interested, they still ask me for Google Talk and Skype ID, as well as phone number, etc. As I read in various forums, some people were repeatedly disturbed via phone by Indian SEO companies, speaking like this “Hi, we analysed your website and seems that its ranking in Google is dropping, you have broken links on your website, you have W3C errors, you are losing potential customers, blah blah… We are there to help you! Are you 100% sure that you don’t need our SEO services? For only 199$/month we guarantee you #1 place in Google!!!“. This is very AGGRESSIVE way to turn people into their customers.
If they are friendly enough to ask for my Google Talk and Skype ID, insisting to have a chat with me, I engage them in friendly talk, asking how to, ideas for my website, most of them do not answer my questions and insist to let my website on their hands. But few times I managed to learn new SEO strategies and few useful advice, which I applied to my website myself instead of hiring them. Once I got a very detailed report in PDF format, listing things that were done good and things that need fix or improvement, offering me to fix all the problems for several hundred $.
Sooner or later they realize that I am NOT going to pay, they stop replying at my emails, they block me on Skype, etc. But guess what… they SPAM me again with their original email offer!
“Greetings! My name is (…) from a reputed leading SEO company based in India. We provide….”
“If you are ashamed to tell us the name of your “leading company” in your first email, you can as well don’t tell that you are from India! Especially on freelance websites, Indians suffer from bad reputation for LOW price but VERY LOW quality.
and BTW, a “leading company” would NOT try to get customers in this way, by spamming emails!”
More funny replies written by me:
“This is the 10th SEO services email received this week. I can hire 1 SEO company, not 10 different SEO companies every week, sorry!”
“This is the 10th SEO promotional email received this week. If I was in need for SEO services I would have hired one already.”
“One of my friends have hired a SEO company from India, his traffic increased with 20% during first month but second month he lost 80% of traffic being penalized by Google Penguin due to link building done by that so-called SEO expert… so I am NOT interested in your fucking ANTI-SEO services.”
“Thanks for contacting, I NEED YOUR HELP regarding 1 single problem: how to display my email on website to protect it from being crawled by fucking spammers like YOU!”
“Fuck off, your employees / workmates are fucking SPAMMERS. I have got exactly same fucking message from another 2 email addresses. I already replied once that I am NOT interested in your FUCKING SERVICES.”
“Spammers SUCKS, if you want customers, make yourself a website and we will contact you!” (if the email did not contained any URL of their company and also did not specified that he visited “my website”)
Let’s hope that they will not SPAM me again, and I will discourage overall Web Development & SEO SPAM from India.
Other sites discussing same subject
– https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/35291?hl=en – Google warn us: “Be wary of SEO firms and web consultants or agencies that send you email out of the blue” and “No one can guarantee a #1 ranking on Google“.
You may be also interested in...